NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Nextel TAP Phone Number
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHaasSr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Nextel TAP Phone Number Reply with quote

Is there a new phone number for sending TAP to Nextel? The listed number (800-201-2501) does not answer, doesn't even ring, just seems to stay an open line.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Nextel has deactivated the 18002012501 terminal and no longer supports it. I don't have any other 1800 TAP numbers for Nextel.

However, you may be able to use your local terminal for message delivery. To know what your local terminal is, take your area code and exchange code (the middle three digits of your phone number) and put 6683 on the end of it. To make up an example, you might use 777-666-6683

SDHaasSr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the area code & exchange code of my land line or of the Nextel phone? They couldn't have a local terminal on every area code & exchange code.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant your land line's area code and exchange code. I'm not sure quite how it works but I know that Nextel has some sort of deal worked out so that most areas do have a local 6683 Nextel terminal. There's another user on the forum, AOsgood, that knows more about the details on how the Nextel exchange system works, so maybe he can chime in and explain it a bit better than I could.

OzCom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CORRECTION: Every NexTel switch has an inbound TAP modem pool - the TAP access number for a particular NexTal device is NPA-NXX-6683 where NPA-NXX = Area Code and Exchange for the Mobile Device

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blevensa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Nextel TAP numbers Reply with quote

We switched from the toll freenumber that was mentioned to a local Nextel TAP number and was working up until this Friday 11/20/09.

If you call the number it does seem like you get to their modem banks, however our messages our not going through... We are using (513) 617-6683 though have tried the Indiana one also (317)710-6683

We have not changed our settings 7,e,1 or baud rates tried 2400 (recommended) and even 300 to see if it worked.

We opened a trouble ticket up with Nextel/Sprint though it is still not working. Is anyone else having this issue... Should we try some Sprint numbers as well?

Thanks in advance!

-Allan

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as silly as it may sound, the Sprint terminals don't send to Nextel phones, even though they're the same company now. I think that may be because Nextel is GSM and Sprint is CDMA but that's just a guess on my part.

Is the issue that you can get a connection with that terminal number but it never responds to the <CR> that's sent? The reason I ask is that I've had a few clients that have had that trouble recently. It'll dial up, connect, everything looks fine, but the terminal never responds to the actual initiation character. IT's an ongoing issue with Nextel at the moment.

OzCom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Sprint and NexTel have the same corporate parent - they are 2 completely different networks. SPrint operates a CDMA cellular network while NexTel operates an iDEN digital 2 way radio network with Cellular capabilities.

View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blevensa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tech Support wrote:
Is the issue that you can get a connection with that terminal number but it never responds to the <CR> that's sent? The reason I ask is that I've had a few clients that have had that trouble recently. It'll dial up, connect, everything looks fine, but the terminal never responds to the actual initiation character. IT's an ongoing issue with Nextel at the moment.

Thank you for the reply. I haven't really looked at the actual communciation between the two, though this seems very likely... The Nextel TAP modem is online, though we are getting a general rejection error and have been using this number for several months. We were on the phone with Nextel for about 2 hours trying to find someone that knew even what TAP was ;)

Do you think this issue is being worked on by Nextel? We haven't got any feedback on our open ticket with them. Perhaps I should call them back and tell them about the <CR> response acknowledgement, though it seems like no one there wants to take responsiblity for the TAP gateway; I get sent back and forth from Blackberry support and other departments.

I was just wondering how many other people were seeing this in case there was anything on our end. We still can TAP perfectly to Verizon, Cincinnati Bell, USA Mobility, etc... so I was pretty sure it wasn't anything with our software.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to double check, send your .log files from the c:\pagegatedata\logs\ folder to support at notepage dot com and I'll have a look to see what's actually happening. Once we've stablished that's what you're running into, that would be the best course of action because you're not the only client that's having this particular trouble.

OzCom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to BLevensa and TECH SUPPORT: If you can provide your contact info offline AND the trouble ticket number - I may be able to assist with the NexTel engineering contact - we work very closely with them and I can check the ticket status as well as ensure that it gets routed to the proper place at Sprint/NexTel

SDHaasSr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some luck switching Nextel phones to the Sprint modem number.

The problem you are having sounds like the problem I was having with Verizon...modem answers but does not connect. I have had to change the modem settings so it acts like an older type of modem. Might be worth a try.

"AT&FE0+MS=V22B,0"

SDHaasSr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned that you are having success using TAPP with Cincinnati Bell.

What phone number do you use for their modem? I have not been able to find one.

blevensa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDHaasSr wrote:
You mentioned that you are having success using TAPP with Cincinnati Bell.

What phone number do you use for their modem? I have not been able to find one.

For Cinci Bell we use 866-883-7243
1200 Baud
7,1,E

blevensa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with Nextel Customer Support. We started this process on November 19. They confirmed that changes were made to the TAP gateway and that there are 3 settings to look for.

Data Compression is off
Error Control is on
Baud Rate has changed to 9600

I hope this helps anyone. Unfortunately the older modems we use only go to 2400 baud so I cannot test.

-Allan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: