NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

How to setup GSM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intervalintl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: How to setup GSM? Reply with quote

What do I have to do to setup my PG to do GSM? Details if possible. Thanks for your help.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: How to setup GSM? Reply with quote

Are you trying to make PageGate send out messages through a wireless GSM modem, or through a GSM phone connected to the computer's serial port?

Or, are you trying to send messages to a phone that happens to be on a GSM network?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to hijack this tread but
I kinda have a similar question, I'm trying to send messages to a phone that uses GSM network in europe.
I just have no Idea hot to setup the NotePager Pro to send messages.

Any info appreciated
Thanks, Johnny

intervalintl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to setup GSM? Reply with quote

>Are you trying to make PageGate send out messages through a wireless
>GSM modem, or through a GSM phone connected to the computer's
>serial port?

>Or, are you trying to send messages to a phone that happens to be on a
>GSM network?

Sorry for the long response... I'm using a GSM phone connected via serial port.

Thanks for your help!
Jay

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to setup GSM? Reply with quote

First thing you need to find out is what settings the phone is setup to communicate over the serial port (i.e. baud rate, parity, data bits, etc.)

The most common settings I have seen is:
9600 baud
no parity
8 data bits
1 stop bit

Then in PG Admin go to 'Connectors' -> 'Dialer1' -> 'Settings'
Set the serial port to the port your modem is using

Next, create a new carrier. Set the protocol to 'GSM'. Enter the communication settings discussed above.

Create or modify a recipient to use the new carrier.

Then, give it a shot. If it doesn't work, please post a section from the dialer log with what is happening during a delivery session.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: How to setup GSM? Reply with quote

For people simply trying to send messages to a phone that is on a GSM network, then the first step is to find out what protocols the phone's carrier accepts for text (SMS) messages. In the US the most popular protocols are TAP (via analog modem), SNPP (internet), WCTP (internet), and SMTP (internet). In Europe and other countries the most popular protocols are TAP (via analog modem), UCP (via analog modem), and SMTP (via internet).

The way text messaging typically works is that you send a text message from your computer (using a program like NotePager Pro or PageGate) to the carrier (the company that provides the phone/pager service). The carrier then sends the message to the correct device. The typical way to send messages to the carrier is via regular analog modem, or over the Internet. However, you first must find out what protocols the carrier will accept. We have a list of many of the popular carriers and their settings here:

http://www.notepage.net/support.htm

Sending messages through a wireless modem or mobile phone using the GSM specification (like the original poster in this thread) is a little different. In this setup the messages go from your wireless modem or phone to the destination device without any phone lines or internet connections.

rupali25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: PC to GSM communication Reply with quote

Hi there!!

I want to send data from PC connected to GSM phone to other PC in TCP/IP LAN..

Can some one help me. how should i go about..

OzCom

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have an "Ethernet" version of a cellular modem. If so, you need to create a Virtual COM port on your network pointing at that device's IP address. Then, "install" the modem drivers on the PageGate PC and point it at the new COM port

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
racheliya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to make calls on your laptop using a 3g gsm express card? I would like to get a GSM card (or evdo) for my laptop and was wondering if I can get a phone number assigned to it and use it like a cell phone. Thanks!

Last edited by racheliya on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... I'm not sure, really. You should be able to get a phone number assign do it but you'll need to contact the company who hosts that simcard directly.

akram.malik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi...

I want to send data from PC connected to GSM phone to other PC in TCP/IP LAN..

can u help me please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: