NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Duplicate messages....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jandafields

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Duplicate messages.... Reply with quote

Lately, many messages I send out have been received by the recipients multiple times.

In the pagegate log, it shows each person in the group as scheduled once, then it shows multiple deliveries to the same people over and over.

This is always when sending to a "group". AND, when sending to the group, some of the recipients fail the first or second time around.

I think that pagegate is resending the failed message to everyone in that group, until it successfully sends it to everyone at the same time.

It probably sees the "group" as failed or success, and will resend the entire group until the group is success. Correct?

So, most people receive the message multiple times.

Please tell me if this is how pagegate is supposed to work, and can I change it so it only resends to the individuals in the group that it failed on.

Thank you.

jandafields

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I am using the latest version, 5.0.9

OzCom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - Pagewgate will only fail at the group level if there are no valid recipients in the group. Once a message has been processed for a group, the package then processes for each individual group member. Without seeing your database, I can't be sure - but the symptoms sound like you MAY have recipients that are members of multiple groups and their groups are members of other groups.

EXAMPLE: 10 recipients are members of both group "A" and of group "B". Group "A" also has group "B" as a member. When a message is sent to Group "A", Pagegate processes a the job for each member of group "A". Since group "B" is ALSO a member of Group "A", then members of Group "B" will receive a copy. If a recipient is a member of both groups, it will receive the message two times (doing exactly what you told it to do)

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jandafields

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not the case with being in multiple groups, or groups within groups.

However, it might be the case that I have Computer #1 running Scheduler and Connector1, while Computer #2 runs Scheduler and Connector2... both using the same database.

I use 2 connectors to send messages out twice as fast, and I have both running scheduler in case either computer ever goes down... the other will still process messages.

Having both running scheduler may be double scheduling sometimes, I don't know, but I like the redundancy of having either computer work without necessarily relying on the other one. It makes it more fail safe.

If only 1 computer runs scheduler, and that computer goes down, then the other computer would never send messages.

I realize, of course, that the database must be on a reliable network server, and not located on either pagegate computer, for this redundancy to make sense.

I would assume that PageGate might be "smart" enough to mark in the database when a message has been scheduled, so the other scheduler would not re-schedule the same message, but I don't know how the actual process works internally.

GaiSteve

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so too about the PageGate being smart but experienced the same problems as you did. Seems like the scheduling status of a message is somehow not transferred.

OzCom

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaiSteve: That is due to the fact that only 1 scheduler is all that is needed to controll all installations on the same network

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> PageGate Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: