NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

NotePager Pro Crashes Windows XP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sscott1234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: NotePager Pro Crashes Windows XP Reply with quote

I recently changed computers and moved the NotePager Pro over to a XP OS. It will send out one or two pages. Then it will crash with a on screen message stating that the software has encountered an error and must close. Then the OS wants to send an error message to microsoft. But the computer is not internet accesable and wont display the error message until it connects with microsoft. Suggestions for resolution.

Last edited by sscott1234 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
OzCom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you "moved" NPP - did you perfrom a fresh complete install on the new PC?

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sscott1234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...i have the program on a cd rom. did a complete new set up of the software. just imported carriers and recipients into the new program.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you installed from the CD, it's likely you aren't using the latest build of NotePager Pro. Give this a try:

1) Using the Windows explorer, browse to the c:\program files\notepager pro\ directory.

2) In that directory, you should see a NPP.mdb file. If you have system set NOT to show you the extentions to file types, you'll see a file that is named NPP and the icon of the file will be a small, yellow key.

2a) If you want to view the extentions to files, which I highly recommend, you'll want to go to Tools -> Folder Options.

2b) In the Folder Options, go under the View Tab.

2c) UNCHECK "Hide extensions for known file types" and click on OK.

3) Make a copy of this file somewhere on your computer, preferrably to your My Documents folder or the root c:\

4) After you've made a copy of the database, uninstall NotePager Pro.

5) During the installation, it will prompt you if you want to remove all files, tell it yes.

6) Reboot the computer.

7) Once the computer comes back up, you'll want to visit our website: http://www.notepage.net

8) Click on the Download button under the NotePager Pro section.

9) After the file has been downloaded, run it.

10) This will take you through the installation for the latest version of NotePager Pro, including any patches we've released since you originally installed the program.

11) After you install the latest version of NotePager Pro, run the program once. Skip or cancel all of the wizards it prompt you to, then close the program.

12) After you've closed the program, go back to your Windows Explorer.

13) Find the copy of the NPP.mdb file that you made, whether you put it in your root c:\ or My Documents folder.

14) Copy this file directly into the c:\program files\notepager pro\ directory. It will ask you if you want to overwrite the file, say yes.

15) Once you do that, run NotePager Pro again. Everything should be restored and fully functional.

sscott1234

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: continues to crash Reply with quote

okay. i followed all 15 steps and still having the same issue. this time i put the computer on line to get the the data in the microsoft error report. it is obviously code and is very long. i cannot paste and copy the report. is there a way to send you the error report? is there certain information to look for in the error report?

scott wood
callmgtsys@aol.com

Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want, you can email the error report to support at notepage dot com and I'll have a look at it. I have a hunch that something is causing the error, not that it's native in the program. If it was native in the program, I'd have seen this dozens and hundreds of times on XP computers.

What antivirus/firewall do you use and have you added exceptions for NotePager Pro?

sscott1234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i get the error report off the computer? as i stated the report is quite long but there is no way to copy and paste the report. this computer is not usually connected to the internet. there is no additonal firewall installed other then the standard microsoft xp.

scott wood
callmgtsys@aol.com

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... no internet connection means you're using a modem. I know what you're running into.

It isn't that NotePager Pro is crashing the system it's that NotePager Pro is using the modem, the modem has a bad driver (or a poorly written driver) and the modem is crashing the system.

I'd bet if you connected the sytem to the internet and updated the modem driver (via Windows Update or the Manufacturer's Website) it'll stop crashing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: