NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

Canada to UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleDarren

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Canada to UK Reply with quote

Hi there,

Be gentle with me I'm a technophobe ok?

Ok here goes, just moved to Toronto and have now got Uk phone( vodafone) and a rogers pay as you go simcard in my other phone. All my UK friends are texting me like crazy to see how I'm getting on and I reply no problem using UK phone BUT it's costing me a fortune. I'm sat in a hotel room connected to the net on my laptop and wanted to text them from here, hence I downloaded notepager pro. I have to say I am soooo confused even using the wizards, I have no idea what networks my friends are on, because in the UK we don't need to know at all, it works between them all. Plus I haven't a clue about which protocol etc I should be trying to use with this internet connection, it would have 'apparantly' been simple at home where I was on an analogue modem but not here where I've had to embrace technology at a very fast rate, told you I was a technophobe.. haha... Any hint's tips on setting this thing up then I can text it using my own UK phone to receive until i'm confident it's workng?

Thanks in anticipation

A confused englishman abroad!!

Darren

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest using SMTP as the delivery protocol. Instructions for setting this up are below.

You will still need to know the Recipient's Carrier (for completing step #9).

1.) 'Add' a Carrier named "SMTP".
2.) Select SMTP as the protocol.
3.) Enter a Local Domain. This needs to look something like "xyz.com" or "abc.net".
4.) Select "Deliver Directly to Destination Server"
5.) Make sure there is at least one DNS Server IP address listed. This does not include "0.0.0.0", as this is not a valid IP address.
6.) Please ensure you have a 'Sender's Name' under 'Tools' - 'Settings' - 'General'. The "Sender's Name" cannot contain any spaces. It can contain upper/lowercase letters, numerals, periods, hyphens and underscores.
7.) When you 'Add' or 'Edit' a Recipient, select "SMTP" from the 'Carrier' drop down list.
8.) The 'ID/Pin' field name should change to 'E-Mail To:'
9.) Type in the e-mail address for the Recipient's Cell Phone. For Vodafone (UK) this will be "phonenumber@vodafone.net".

A list of other Carrier SMTP Domains can be found here: http://www.notepage.net/smtp.htm

After you apply the changes, you should be able to send messages to the SMTP (e-mail) Recipients, as long as you are connected to the Internet.
SMTP requires a connection to the Internet for it to work.

LittleDarren

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl, watch this space, as Arnie says... I'll be back!

D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: