NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

"Waiting for protocol initialization"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: "Waiting for protocol initialization" Reply with quote

Hello,

After I connect to the carrier, the log tells me that it's waiting for protocol initialization. After about 10 or 15 seconds, it then moves on to hanging up the modem and disconnecting.

I am using the TAP protocol.

Does this mean that for some reason the TAP initialization is failing? What could cause such an error?

Thanks

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

This issue usually occurs when the modem cannot handshake with the TAP terminal PRIOR to detecting and initializing TAP.

It sounds like you may have to adjust some of the Carrier's settings.

I would try dropping the Carrier's Baud Rate to "300" and selecting "(auto)" for the Initialization String

You should also do the following so that you will have detailed connection (debugging) information into the dialer log (npp.log):

1.) Create a empty text file in the folder "C:\Program Files\NotePager Pro".
2.) Rename the file to "modem.dbg".

When you change the file name and extension, Windows should warn you about making the file unusable.

3.) Select "Yes".

4.) Send another message.

If the messages go through - GREAT!

If not, attach the dialer log file (npp.log) to an e-mail and send it to forumsupport@notepage.com .

Please include the following information in the e-mail:

Carrier
Phone Number
Baud Rate
Data Bits
Parity
Stop Bits

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Tap connection Reply with quote

I'll give this a try in the morning...thanks

Tech Support

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up:

The customer's Carrier is using 8 Data Bits, No(ne) Parity, and 1 Stop Bit (8,N,1).

This is somewhat unique in the US and Canada. Generally 7 Data Bits, Even Parity and 1 Stop Bit (7,E,1) is used.

Once the Carrier settings were adjusted in the software, the customer was able to initialize TAP correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct. Thanks again for your help.

Also, I needed to change the modem init string to AT&FQ0V1X4&D2 to get it fully work (but I was able to get past the initial problem I was having by changing the settings to 8N1).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> NotePager Pro Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: