NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

sql integration for messages and autonumber field

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raymond

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: sql integration for messages and autonumber field Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to use SQL server for PageGate data. I have created a linked table for messages.

I have not had any problems converting fields. Your posts concerning empty strings were very helpful in that regard.

I do, however, have a problem with the autonumber field, message_id. When I try to send a message through pgadmin I receive an error "...You must use the dbSeeChanges option with OpenRecordset when accessing a SQL server table that has an IDENTITY column...".

This appears to be a problem that cannot be fixed without removing the identity column. This will result in having to manually create the message_id value. I can generate the message_id, but I would prefer to use an IDENTITY field. Does anyone know of a workaround or a setting that can alleviate this error?

Thanks,

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: sql integration for messages and autonumber field Reply with quote

I will try to look into that a little further, but I have one question first.

Do you get the same message when you try to send a test message from the PG GUI Client program?

Thanks

raymond

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By PG GUI I assume you mean the PG Admin client. Is there another client application? I right click on the appropriate recipient and click send message. I then fill out the appropriate fields and when I click to send the message I receive the error.

It is my understanding that the PG Admin client uses the pagegate.mdb access database to store and retrieve messages for processing. I modified the database so that the messages table is actually a linked table pointing to the SQL server.

I thought that integrating this way was the simplest and most direct. Once complete I can use whatever client I want to modify or view data within the SQL server.

The error seems to result from the differences between an autonumber field in Access and an Identity field in SQL server. Anyone linking tables from access to SQL on the messages table should have ran into this before. If there is not an easy fix then I can come up with a solution to generate Message IDs without using Identity, but I would prefer not doing so.

Thanks for your help,

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: sql integration for messages and autonumber field Reply with quote

When you first run the installer program that you downloaded (pgv4.exe), one of the options was to install the PageGate GUI Client program. This is a client program that users on a network would use to send messages to PageGate. Ultimately, you probably wouldn't use this interface for anything in your setup, but it does access the database is a slightly different way than the PG Admin program.

If you can, please install and try sending a test message from the PG GUI Client and let me know if you get the same error message or not. It is possible that the PG GUI Client program will work fine with the way it interacts with the database. If that is the case, we can work forwards from there. If not, then I will look in another direction.

raymond

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to reinstall the software, but I was able to get pagegate working and get the pagegate GUI client working with it perfectly with the original database. I then tried using the new database with the linked table for messages. The client was unable to sync up with the scheduler for local time, and when I tried to send a message the client said that the database was locked. It looked like it made the SQL connection, because it asked me for the connection password. The message said that the paging database was locked, so I think it had something to do with Access.

Suggestions?

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: sql integration for messages and autonumber field Reply with quote

I am going to try to reproduce your configuration, but it may take a few days to get a test system setup with SQL server on it. What version of Windows are you running, and what version of SQL server are you running?

raymond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition Version 5.2.3790 SP 1 all the latest available hotfixes.

SQL Server 2000 Version 8.00.760 SP 3

Thanks for all the help,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: