NotePage, Inc. Forum Index

HOWTO: Solarwinds Orion Integration with PageGate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmunford

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: HOWTO: Solarwinds Orion Integration with PageGate Reply with quote

Since there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive HOWTO, and a lot of incomplete threads regarding this, I thought I'd give it a shot.

You will need to purchase the PageGate license and the "GetAscii" plug-in.

1) Install PageGate application on your Orion Server.
2) From the PG Admin screen, Go to the Registration page and enter your Registration Key. Also check the "GetAscii" check-box on the Registration Page.
3) Open the "Program/Settings" page and check the "GetAscii" check-box under "run on this server:".
4) Open the "Interfaces/GetAscii/Settings" page and check the "Enabled" check-box. Select a path for the "Polling Directory". Apply the settings.
5) Right-click on the "Interfaces/GetAscii" object and select "Start".
6) Open the "Interfaces/GetAscii/Status" page to verify that the status is running. Click refresh several times until you see it running.
7) Right click the "Carriers" object and select "Add". Create a profile for your paging service using the appropriate protocol, i.e. TAP, SNPP, SMTP etc.
8) Right click the "Recipients" object and select "Add". Create a profile for a paging recipient. Check the "GetAscii" check-box. Select the "Carrier" profile created in step 7. Enter the paging device phone number in the "ID/PIN" field. change the "Max Chars" to the appropriate number, i.e 160 chars. Repeat as necessary to create multiple paging recipients.
9) (optional) Right click the "Groups" object and select "Add". Fill out the "Description" and "Group" name fields. Check the "GetAscii" checkbox under "Enabled Services". Click on "Apply". Select the "Groups/<groupname>/Email" page and create a "Mailbox Name". Select the "Groups/<groupname>/Members" page and add recipients to the "Members" box and click"Apply".
10) Right-click a recipient or group object and select "Send Message". Fill out the message form and click "Send" to test your configuration. If your texts make it to your phone, you should be able to create Orion alerts at this point.
11) Open Orion System Manager and create an Alert. Under the "Trigger Actions" page, Add an "Action" and select "Dial Paging or SMS Service". Click the ellipsis button next to the "Page Recipient" and you should be able to select from the list of Recipients and/or Groups you created in PageGate. Type the SMS message to be delivered in the "Message to Send" box, using the "Insert Variable" button to add the Orion Macros to customize the message.

It took me quite a bit of floundering and frustration to get this working, especially since steps 2-6 are not intuitive or clearly documented that I can tell. Hopefully this will eliminate a bit of stress for the next guy...

mmunford

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

great to hear I've saved at least one person some frustration!!

Philip30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really that great i try the tutorial got me set up perfectly that's very helpful thanks for that again!

carbon poker review

roger@csc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using PageGate not Note Page... and I seem to not have any recipients when I hit the ellipsis... any suggestions?

Is there something in Solarwinds I need to set before they talk to each other?

Thanks,

Roger

Tech Support

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're integrating Orion with PageGate, Orion pulls the recipients from this portion of the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - NotePage - Transfer - Recipients

The PageGate GetAscii module writes a list of all recipients that have the GetAscii module enabled for them to that section of the registry. So, if that's blank, either you have no recipients with the GetAscii module enabled or you may need to stop and start the PageGate Services. The GetAscii module writes those values when it initially starts.

roger@csc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restarting the services did it, thanks!

MCSD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: NPM and PAGEGATE Reply with quote

I can send test messages using SMTP and TAP within pagegate Admin, but when testing an alert to send to a receipient.....message is not sent to either SMTP or TAP.

I see the following:

Alert xxxxx: Failed - Exception Detail - File not found. Sent Message - T0:
Action Type Notepage for xxxx failed to complete successfully.

Please HELP

What am I missing?????

MCSD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify.....

All the steps above have been followed. Within System Manager (Orion NPM) I set up an alert using "Dial Paging or SMS Service" and choose the recipients created in PG Admin. When I test the alert I get the error above. Again I tested the recipients within PG Admin and get a success TAP message and SMTP message.

Thanks....

OzCom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) is getASCII running?
2) Is getASCII watching the correct location?

TEL: 207-518-8455
AOsgood@streamline-solutions.net
Creators of AutoPage Spillman CAD interface for PageGate
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tech Support

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expound a little on OzCom's questions, if you go into the Interfaces - GetAscii - Settings, what do you have set for the polling directory and is Enabled checked?

Also, under the Program - Settings section, is "GetAscii" checked under the Run on this Server section?

MCSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OzCom/Tech Support

Here is my settings:

GetAscii\Settings -

Enabled
Polling Directory: D:\PageGateData\Ascii\
Polling Interval: 5

GetAscii is checked under "Run on this server.
Also, PageGate is set to run as a Windows Service.

Thank you kindly......

MCSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also......

I can setup an alert and add an action to execute external program "sendpage32" and that works to send SMS message.

Tech Support

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I think I know what's happening. If I had to take a guess, you're running on a 64-bit operating system and you have one of the older builds of PageGate version 5 installed. The older builds of PageGate version 5 used sendpage.exe as the Command Line Parameter that it wrote to the registry. sendpage.exe isn't usable by 64-bit operating systems, so we recoded PageGate in the more recent builds to use sendpage32.exe as its default command line parameter value in the registry.

1) Make a backup of the pagegate.mdb file (typically located in c:\pagegatedata\database\). This is the single most important thing you can do before you update.

2) Stop PageGate. Make sure that none of the services or programs are running. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that nothing in regards to PageGate is running.

3) Browse into the PageGate program directory (typically c:\program files\pagegate)

4) Move or delete ALL of the .exe files from this directory.

5) Download the latest installation file for PageGate from our website: http://www.notepage.net (click on the download option under the PageGate section in the center of the page)

6) Run the pgsetup.exe file you downloaded in step 5.

7) The ONLY option you want to run is the "Install PageGate Server" option.

8) Unless you need to change the installation directory, you can click on Next until the installation finishes.

If it asks you to reboot, do so but it shouldn't. After you finish this, restart the PageGate services and that should do it.

MCSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am running x64 ......Server 2008 R2....

I will attempt the steps....

Thank you...

MCSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked......

Thank you so much.......

Richard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NotePage, Inc. Forum Index -> Integration Related Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: